Help! My Ex Isn’t Paying Child Support

When you have primary custody of your children, caring for your children alone is a heavy responsibility. In addition to managing their day-to-day schedules while working full-time, much of the financial burden falls on you. Child support agreements are created to ease the burden on single parents, requiring the ex-spouse to assist in meeting the financial needs of their children.

Unfortunately, it isn’t uncommon for an ex-spouse to refuse to pay child support. At the Law Office of Lindsay Soto, we routinely assist parents who need assistance enforcing a child support agreement.

I Need Help Collecting My Child Support

If you ex-spouse is refusing to pay their court ordered child support, there are district attorneys who have the sole responsible of helping parents enforce child support agreements. Under the Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984, parents can take legal actions against their ex-spouse if they refuse to pay the agreed upon support.

How is Child Support Collected From an Uncooperative Spouse?

There are several ways child support can be collected from a spouse who isn’t cooperating with the child support agreement in place. The district attorney can create consequences, including garnishing their wages, seizing their property, or withholding federal tax refunds. The funds recovered will be used to pay you what is owed.

Even with the help of a district attorney, enforcing child support agreements isn’t easy. Ex-spouses find ways to avoid consequences for delinquency, and their children are the ones who suffer. If you have primary custody of your children and your ex-spouse hasn’t been holding up their end of the child support agreement, an experienced family law attorney can help you recover the money you are owed.

Lindsay Soto is a family lawyer who has worked on custody support cases in Salem, OR and the surrounding areas for over 14 years. To schedule a consultation, call 503-315-7344 or click here.